Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11

It's a beautiful day. The first intimations of fall are in the air. The sun is out, and the sky is blue. Something about the morning has been cruelly evocative of the one six years ago today, and the atrocities of 9/11 are on my mind, more so than on previous anniversaries. I am posting a series of stills from Winsor McCay's 1918 landmark animated film, The Sinking of the Lusitania, a graphic memorial to another atrocity from 92 years ago. The stills and the film are hauntingly beautiful and affecting. They're offered here as a prayerful lament.






2 comments:

Bob Flynn said...

Powerful film...I believe one of the first to use cel technology for animation. It was created to be as realistic as possible, and it is. You watch the ship die in bellowing smoke...ending with a woman and her baby sinking into the depths of the ocean. I don't want to make assumptions, but it was likely comparably frightening to watch, even though it was just animation. Great tribute on a somber day.

John Hendrix said...

It is true about the high blue sky. I saw the towers come down with my own eyes and immediately thought about it when I opened the door this morning. It was a day just like this one. Cloudless, indian summer.

I've never seen that film...do you have a copy of it?