Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hendrix at the Plate: More Artball


John Hendrix has submitted an Artball lineup with an excellent concept (of course) and logo. The New York Deadlines bring a strong lineup, with an especially dominant left side, and Norman Rockwell as a closer. Saul Steinberg makes an appearance almost as a throwaway reliever. I think as the season progressed he would work his way up. Can you imagine trying to hit a Steinberg slider? I have a quibble or two: Barry Blitt seems a little thin and scratchy to manage things behind the plate, and Coby Whitmore is overrated. But I really like Weaver at third, Wyeth in left and Cornwell in center, which anticipates a little my own lineup, an item I will be posting soon.

The true stunner is this: Bob Peak as the DH? What? When questioned, Hendrix allowed that he hates the American League. "Bob Peak is my protest pick."

Sigh. National League snobs...

4 comments:

John Hendrix said...

Notice the ceremonial 1B coach, Milton.

As for Blitt behind the plate, do you want a Mike Piazza-esqe Dean Cornwell back there? No thanks. For my money, the best catchers are the idiosyncratic goofballs. The Yogi Berra-like Blitt is the perfect man to pester and noodle batters with peppy banter while calling for that perfect cutter.

Coby Whitmore over-rated? He is my David Eckstein, solid and steady. No need for a flashy self promoter at leadoff. Perhaps a bit of a genre painter, but as long as he can hit a bunt single I don't care.

Bill Koeb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Koeb said...

Yeah, there's no way Peak and Weaver would be on the same team.

shawn said...

missing some allstars - hopin somebody else fields dunn, fuchs, and holland.