Thursday, January 22, 2009

Michigan Picture 1


The gears have been grinding a little as I adjust to the resumption of teaching. Pleased to be back, and excited about the course content. But I am determined to remain at work in my pages and books, too.

Last November we went to St. Joseph, Michigan for Thanksgiving. On Saturday we drove up to Holland. I spent a fun few hours tramping around at the Eastern end of Lake Macatawa, the small lake that flows through a channel out to Lake Michigan, past a famous red lighthouse. Later I drew the lighthouse and the channel passage out to the great lake. But for the first little while I hung around the margins of an industrial scrap metal yard. Above, what turned into a sort of observational caprice. I put the paint on the book spread about two weeks ago.

2 comments:

John Hendrix said...

This palate will be copied by me. Fair notice.

DB Dowd said...

Copy away, John! It is of course a modified primary triad, a red-yellow-blue thing plus some brown and a graphitey gray [the latter black + white + sepia]. Nothing very original! That blue is a cousin to the one you use a good bit of already, don't you think?