Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day


Today is the last day of the month, and Memorial Day to boot. I haven't posted since late April, making this the longest break between posts from the time I started this project in the summer of 2007.

The end of the semester was a bit hairy, but interspersed between my academic duties I have been working in the studio. I'll report on several fronts before long.

In the meantime, here's a detail from a sketchbook painting. A predawn drawing in the St. Louis airport from our trip to NY in March. In pencil. Then a twist: I cut the pages out, spray-mounted them on a watercolor block, and worked up a black key drawing. Subsequently I produced the underpainting (which reads a little electrically here) on a different sheet and put them together.

More soon. I'm headed out to visit a veteran's cemetery, and to draw.

4 comments:

John Hendrix said...

Wow- love this drawing. Reminds me of Doug Fraser meets Philip Guston!

DB Dowd said...

Thanks, John!

sunilo said...

Great image! I'm flashing back to a couple of 5 am international flights...

Will e-mail you some updates soon.

DB Dowd said...

Hey Sunil, thanks for the note. I've been thinking about you, and am eager indeed for your news when you have time. Shoot me an email soon...