Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine's Day


Today's New York Times features a cupid-themed Op-Art by Ji Lee. Seeing it reminded me of a project I started a few years back but never got around to finishing: a deck of fortune telling cards based on a Whitman Publishing product from 1936. (My deck was to be a contemporified version, designed for iPhone distribution. I kicked it around with some friends, but we didn't manage to find the right combination of people, time and expertise.) Anyway, it was ton of fun to come up with ideas for cards and design them. This cupid card was one of my favorites, a riff on the original.


Ji Lee's cupids are a witty bunch.


Since romance is in the air, I thought I'd salute an affair to remember: Bugs Bunny in drag with a credulous Elmer Fudd in the Warner Brothers short "Rabbit Seasoning" (1952).


Finally, a discreet shot of the valentine I made for my wife last night. (Those are her hands.) A little gouache on the black paper Arches uses to cover fresh watercolor blocks. Honestly, the handmade valentine thing never gets old...

No comments: