Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Klaus Rules

A few weeks ago I posted on my goofy calendar-making activities. I'd written about them a few years back, and when I did I got a lovely comment from a bookbinder and artist's book maker in Germany named Klaus von Mirbach. So I circled back to Klaus to say hey and highlight his work. In a comment on his blog I expressed fondness for one of his recent projects.

A little over a week ago, that very book–a charming, idiosyncratic volume–arrived in the mail! Klaus sent it to me as a gift. (The cover promises "Suggestions, attempts to persuade, remains, something incomprehensible, poetic mysteries," etc.)

There's an event that can't be imagined without the crazy power of the internet. I rue certain aspects of online culture–particularly the dominance of searching as a mode, as distinguished from browsing–but the unpredictable point-to-point connections are wonderful. Of course that very connection was sealed with a physical object, packed up by one person, handled by plenty others en route, and received by another.


Long live the artifact.

But absent our two blogs, neither of us would know of the other.

I put my own package in the mail yesterday. Klaus, I hope you enjoy my return offering.

3 comments:

Klaus von Mirbach said...

Dear D.B. Yes, This is a wonderful blogger story, attesting how important, enriching and amicable the internet can be. Ive wrote something on my blog, a part in english, sorry, my english writing is sometimes below my thinking
Very best wishes, Klaus

Kim Wardenburg said...

I love your calendar!!! If you were publishing it, I would by it... but alas...

Klaus von Mirbach said...

D.B., your letter arrived yesterday, a great pleasure, thank you, I love your drawing, the journal is wonderful, a lot to look at, a lot to think. When I first saw your blog, some days ago, I thought: D. B. is one, who not only does great drawings, wonderful illustrations, but also investigates what drawing actually, basicly is, and: he can tell storys about his expeditions. Thats what I learned long ago at my university, from my profs, and today I see a lot of virtuosic drawings but miss this investigations. I read the journal since yesterday, I wrote something in my blog, please read it there, I wrote something about: The view calmed me. Saved by an act of observation." What a sentence, means a lot to me, just as other sentences, I will read the journal some days, not only rainy days, observe, slowly, canny but agape, I must find out something more about these five square leaves of rice paper, two pics per leaf, folded along the vertical. It sounds like a new artist book. Once again thank you, speak soon, very best wishes, Klaus